We have had a few questions about our upcoming trip. I am going to post these (and a few more) here so we all can see them. If you have any more questions or need further clarification, either leave a comment below or click on the Contact Us link in the main menu. I will do my best to answer your questions so we can all stay informed about our upcoming trip!
Do we need any shots?
- No, you do not need to get any shots unless you are not up to date on any vaccines or want to update your tetanus shot.
- Check out the CDC Health Information page for Traveling to Switzerland: CDC Travel Information for Switzerland
- We do not get shots.
Do I need a visa and passport?
- Visa: No, if you are traveling in Switzerland for under 90 days, US citizens do not need a visa.
- Passport: Yes, your passport needs to be valid for at least 3 months following your planned exit from Switzerland.
- Check out the State Department’s page for information on traveling to Switzerland: Switzerland Travel Information
Have we bought plane tickets yet?
- No, they are still pricey
How do we get money to pay for things?
- We use our atm card to withdraw $ at their banks. There is a charge, so we take out enough for a few days. Sometimes the charges are for their bank and your bank.
Credit cards charge a fee also. Some places only take cash. Don’t bother with travelers checks.
- It is also a good idea to let you bank or the cc company know when you will be out of the country so they can note it in your account. If it is a small bank, there is a possibility that they will deny charges if they think something fishy is going on. So to be safe, let them know ahead of time.
How will we be traveling around Switzerland?
- We will be traveling mainly by train, but will also travel by boat, gondola, and walking. Check out our post about the Swiss Rail pass: [link id=’448′].
- RailEurope’s Swiss Pass : The Swiss pass will allow us to have unlimited travel on the Swiss Travel system.
- Rick Steves’ Rail Guide
What should I bring?
- We posted a sample list ([link id=’559′]) of things we typically take. Some of the items are just things I take, but you won’t need. Just look at this as a guide.
- Rick Steves has some great packing lists and tips. Packing Smart and Traveling Light / Rick’s Packing List / Packing Tips for Women / Women’s Packing List
What is a good site with lots of good tips for traveling in Europe?
What is our itinerary?
- Check out our Itinerary Page [link id=’563′]